If you love being outside and having fun! This is the course for you!
• Designed by teachers for teachers.
• Activities tried, tested and approved by children.
• Methodology renowned by teachers internationally.
• Innovative, effective and easy to apply.
• Icelandic school visits.
• Eco-awareness activities throughout the course.
• Play-based and mindful.
Explore the potential of outside learning and experience the wonders of Iceland on our 7 day course with local trainers.
STPM is an innovative 7-day course held in Reykjavík and led by local teacher trainers. With play, creativity and well-being at its core, this dynamic course will give you close-up and personal insight into the Icelandic school system and first-hand experience of Smartenglish and Play To Learn More methodology.
By combining their programmes, Sarah Jane Anthony from England and Kristín Einarsdóttir from Iceland have created a truly exciting and practical course which focuses on learning, developing confidence and creativity through outdoor play, movement, sensory and mindfulness activities.
Visit Icelandic schools
As part of the course, you will have the opportunity to visit Icelandic schools at each educational stage. You will witness, first-hand, how Iceland, with only 330,000 inhabitants, produces so many well-known athletes and artists. You will see how outdoors, sport and practical subjects, such as home economics, woodwork and art, are given the same priority as academic subjects at all stages of education.
New approaches and perspectives on teaching
On the course, we will explore how to teach academic concepts through outdoor play, movement and sensory activities which allow children to learn ‘in action’ without a worksheet or textbook in sight. These activities include movement games, storytelling techniques, sensory play and mindful activities; all which provide rich opportunities for language and subject specific learning. We also promote the use of eco-friendly homemade resources as alternatives to plastic versions often found in schools.
Opportunities for professionals across the education sector
This course is ideal for Early Years and Primary teachers, Special Needs teachers, Foreign Language teachers and Subject teachers involved in Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) projects at multilingual schools. It is also a great opportunity to practise and improve your own English skills in relevant contexts. The activities presented are aimed at students from 1 to 12 years old however can be easily adapted for older students.
The course is led by Kristín Einarsdóttir and Sarah Jane Anthony. Kristín is experienced Early Years and Primary P.E. specialist and is the founder and author of the acclaimed teaching method Play To Learn More where academic subjects are combined with play and movements to optimize learning. Sarah Jane Anthony is an Early Years and Primary EFL education specialist, founder and director of Smartenglish Creative Language School, a leading English language education project in Spain.
“Smart Teachers Play More courses reflect our philosophy; teachers learn while having fun, sharing ideas and experiences with colleagues from different countries. They are truly unique, enriching educational courses set in a wonderfully inspiring settings.”
Course aims: • To introduce the ideology behind Smart Teachers Play More and observe first-hand how the project is working in local schools in Iceland.
- To give participants a close-up and personal insight into the Icelandic school system.
- To give teachers first-hand experience and the tools they need to promote well-being and teach academic subjects and through outdoor play, movement and the senses.
- To give teachers the opportunity to share successful activities they use in their own school/country so we can learn from each other.
- To explore how parents and the local community can be involved in their children’s education.
- To help teachers plan the vision for their ‘Play to Learn More’ outside classroom with time to reflect on their individual schools and plan realistic steps for implementation and success.
- To have fun, share experiences and learn from like-minded teachers from different countries.
- To continue growing our network of teachers and schools from all over Europe and beyond!
As part of the course we will also provide:
- Morning refreshments
- A dinner party and hot tub experience at a local Icelandic home
- Night time hill walk
- Visit to the local swimming pool and hot tubs
- STPM backpack
- Course material
- Certificate of attendance
We recommend places to stay and help you with your airport transfer. We also offer our own local tours of amazing Iceland with our Smart Teachers Play More tour package!