Teach early concepts through play, multisensory games, yoga and storytelling in a fun and effective way.
If you love to play and learn, and would like to explore the wonders of Iceland with local trainers, this is the course for you!
Play to Learn More (PTLM) methodology is developed by Kristín Einarsdóttir, Sarah Jane Anthony and Berglind Yr Karlsdóttir. This Icelandic teaching approach is inspired by sport, storytelling, relaxation and yoga activities and encourages multi-modal learning incorporating visual, auditory, reading and writing and kinesthetic learning styles among others. It is a holistic teaching method which can be used inside or outside and is aimed for learners between 2 and 7 years old.
Recent research shows that young children move a lot less and have fewer quality social interactions. This is having a negative impact on their social skills, physical and mental health. Using the PTLM approach has proven to increase both students’ and teachers’ well-being. As a holistic approach, it enables children to work on cognitive, physical and social competences simultaneously. The wide range of physical and sensory activities you will experience on the course will give you valuable tools to meet your childrens’ different needs while learning early concepts and routines in the classroom.
PTLM methodology can be used as your main teaching approach or it can be used to compliment other teaching methodology.
The sessions on this course are highly practical and teachers experience the activities first-hand. Throughout the course, participants will have the opportunity to reflect on the sessions and adapt activities to suit their specific settings.
THE ACTIVITIES FOCUS ON:
• Kindergarten and early primary education.
• Encouraging physical activity as part of academic learning.
• Providing multi-sensory experiences in the classroom as part of academic learning.
• Incorporating calm activities into daily routine.
• Increasing well-being for children inside and outside the classroom.
• Nurturing your own well-being as a teacher as part of daily routine.
• To introduce the ideology behind PTLM and learn how the project is working in local schools in Iceland.
• To give participants a close-up and personal insight into the Icelandic school system.
• To give teachers new perspectives and approaches to teaching early concepts through physical, multisensory and relaxation activities.
• To introduce simple yoga games and techniques to use in the classroom
• To explore how we can teach personal, social and communication skills alongside academic skills.
• To give first-hand experience and the tools to promote health and well-being for children and teachers.
• To give teachers the opportunity to share successful activities they use in their own school/country so we can learn from each other.
• To help teachers plan the vision for their ‘Play to Learn More’ classroom with time to reflect on their individual schools and plan realistic steps for implementation and success.
• To have fun, share experiences and learn from like-minded teachers from different countries.
• To become part of a large network of teachers and schools from all over Europe and beyond!
By combining their methodology, Sarah Jane Anthony from England and Kristín Einarsdóttir and from Iceland have created a truly exciting and practical course.
Sarah Jane Anthony is an early years, primary and English as a Foreign Language specialist. Her highly experienced team of teachers from Smartenglish Creative Language School (SCLS), Spain specialise in teaching English as a foreign language to young learners. Sarah and her team have researched and developed their own program and methodology to teach English through creative, sensory and meaningful activities. SCLS works with infant and primary schools offering curriculum support and workshops for children.
Kristín is a qualified P.E., yoga and mindfulness teacher from Iceland. She is also the founder and author of the acclaimed teaching method Play to Learn More where academic subjects are combined with play, movement and mindfulness activities to optimise learning. Her passion is to train as many teachers as possible in the method in order to ensure that students everywhere can benefit from the powerful experience of physical and mindful learning activities.
Kristin and Sarah work with over 30 schools in Iceland and Spain and have organised educational courses and conferences for more than 5,000 teachers in Iceland, Norway, Spain, Croatia, Poland, Lithuania and the UK.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR EARLY YEARS PROFESSIONALS ACROSS THE EDUCATION SECTOR:
This course offers learning opportunities for professionals across the early years education sector including: Preschool teachers; Kindergarten teachers; Lower Primary teachers; Special Needs teachers; Teaching assistants; and Foreign Language teachers for young children; It is also a great opportunity to practise and improve your own English skills in practical contexts.
VISIT ICELANDIC SCHOOLS:
As part of the course and with your Icelandic hosts, you will have the opportunity to visit Icelandic schools at each educational stage. You will witness, first-hand, how Iceland, with only 330,000 inhabitants, produces so many well-known athletes and artists. You will see how outdoors, sport and practical subjects, such as home economics, woodwork and art, are given the same priority as academic subjects at all stages of education.
SHARING GOOD PRACTICE AND NETWORKING:
We also provide the opportunity to share good practice during the course so we can learn from each other and find partners for future projects: KA1 projects, job shadowing opportunities and/or KA229 projects.
One of our priorities while you spend your valuable time with us in Iceland is your well-being. Every teacher is important to us and we want you to feel valued and comfortable throughout your stay. As well as the extra activities we provide as part of the course fee (see below), we work hard to ensure you have a really good time. We ensure lots of team-building and “get to know you” activities from day one and our courses are dynamic and fun-packed. We are genuine Icelandic hosts so you will get the real Icelandic experience and we are renowned to look after our teachers really well.
AS PART OF THE COURSE WE ALSO PROVIDE:
• Morning refreshments
• Cultural evening
• Visit to the local swimming pool and hot tubs
• Course material
• Certificate of attendance
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES AND SIGHTSEEING:
Join us on our own tailor-made local tour of amazing Iceland with our SMART TEACHERS PLAY MORE TOUR PACKAGE for both participants and their families! A great way to enjoy the wonders of Iceland, network and get to know your new European friends.
Don’t miss out on our EXCLUSIVE PARTICIPANT DISCOUNT VOUCHERS for a brand new trendy hotel we work with close to our course centre!
12.02.2023 > 18.02.2023 CONFIRMED
29.10.2023 > 04.11.2023 CONFIRMED
04.02.2024 > 10.02.2024 CONFIRMED
12.05.2024 > 18.05.2024 CONFIRMED
14.07.2024 > 20.07.2024
06.10.2024 > 12.10.2024
COURSE PRICE: 595€ per participant
COURSE I.D. for Erasmus +: 286793