Discover the power of positive psychology in your classroom and experience Alicante, Spain with local hosts and fantastic local activities!
Build a student and teacher mindset which increases happiness, well-being and self-esteem, and nurtures success for both you and your students. Create a classroom setting where everyone can discover and focus on their strengths by using the methods of positive psychology.
Positive education is an approach to schooling which uses positive psychology to enhance learning by putting the emphasis on students’ individual strengths and what particularly motivates them. In this course, we will look at how focusing on personal strengths helps individuals increase their self-esteem and flourish.
The idea of actively focusing on “the good” is at the heart of positive education. In order to achieve this, we must train our attention to notice even the smallest of successes in ourselves and our students. As we say at Smart Teachers Play More, “A little is a lot!”. Small victories are worth celebrating!
The more challenges or obstacles our students face, the greater their need for positive feedback. We will give you tools to help your students recognise their skills and achievements and set goals suitable and motivating for them.
Education systems in general tend to judge or grade students on what is lacking in their academic progress instead of looking at the whole student. Students are compared with curriculum expectations and each other instead of reviewing individual progress and skills.
In this course, we will also show you how the Icelandic school system, in both primary and secondary, centres on individual goals within the national curriculum. Students work and are evaluated at their own level and are not restricted to year group goals. There is also a strong focus on personal, social and practical subjects as well as academic ones.
Activities can be used with students aged 8 upwards.
- To introduce the ideology behind positive education.
- To give teachers a close-up and personal insight into the Icelandic school system.
- To give teachers first-hand experience and tools to promote positive psychology and well-being practices inside and outside the classroom.
- To increase awareness of student and teacher mindsets which increase happiness, well-being and self-esteem.
- To introduce activities which encourage everyone to discover and focus on their strengths.
- To try out tools to help your students build their own skill bank and set motivating goals for themselves.
- To be aware of where we focus our attention as a positive teacher.
- To give teachers the opportunity to share successful activities they use in their own school/country so we can learn from each other.
- To help teachers plan the vision for their positive classroom culture with time to reflect on their individual schools and plan realistic steps for implementation and success.
- To have fun, share experiences and learn from like-minded teachers from different countries.
- To enable participants to join our network of teachers and schools from all over Europe and beyond.
The course is run by Kristín Einarsdóttir and her team. Kristín is a qualified P.E. and Primary teacher from Iceland. She has a diploma in Positive Psychology from the University of Iceland and is also a qualified yoga and mindfulness teacher. She is the founder and author of the acclaimed teaching method Play to Learn More where academic subjects are combined with play, movement and mindfulness activities to optimise learning. Kristin works with over 30 schools in Iceland and has organised educational courses and conferences for more than 6,000 teachers across Europe.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR PROFESSIONALS ACROSS THE EDUCATION SECTOR:
This course offers learning opportunities for teachers and school staff across the education sector including: Primary; Secondary; Adult education; Special Needs; Teaching assistants; School management; Vocational education; Higher education; and Student teachers.
SHARING GOOD PRACTICE AND NETWORKING:
We also provide the opportunity to share good practice during the course so we can learn from each other and find partners for future projects: KA1 projects, job shadowing opportunities and/or KA229 projects.
One of our priorities while you spend your valuable time with us in Spain is your well-being. Every teacher is important to us and we want you to feel valued and comfortable throughout your stay. As well as the extra activities we provide as part of the course fee (see below), we work hard to ensure you have a really good time. We ensure lots of team-building and “get to know you” activities from day one. Our courses are dynamic, fun-packed and include activities on the beach. We are local hosts so you will get the real Spanish experience and we are renowned to look after our teachers really well.
AS PART OF THE COURSE WE ALSO PROVIDE:
• Morning refreshments
• A local trip to the beautiful village of Altea and a group meal
• Course material
• Certificate of attendance
Don’t miss out on our STPM discount at our course hotel in Alicante. We chose this hotel for its fantastic location: just 5 minutes from the beach, close to the old town and neighbouring the famous Santa Barbara Castle. This is an exclusive offer for our participants and their families only.
14.04.2024 > 20.04.2024 CONFIRMED
26.05.2024 > 01.06.2024 CONFIRMED
20.10.2024 > 26.10.2024 CONFIRMED
06.04.2025 > 12.04.2025
18.05.2025 > 24.05.2025
12.10.2025 > 18.10.2025
COURSE PRICE: 595€ per participant
COURSE I.D. for Erasmus +: 245149